Outdoor Christmas decoration ideas
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! As soon as Halloween time passes by, many people start to think about decorating their houses for Christmas.
For many, it is the most wonderful time of the year, just like the popular Christmas song states. So, decorating every part of the house is something that comes naturally for many families. This includes the outdoor areas, such as the garden or patio, and the house’s exterior. And here some people face some doubts about how to best go about. That is why we would like to offer you some practical tips and guidance in this Christmas outdoor decorations guide.
The guide contains three parts:
Photograph by mindful_art via Pixabay
1. The entryway
As you approach your house, you want any guests to be welcomed by a nicely decorated entryway. There are various types of entryway decorations that you can opt for nowadays. The relatively affordable inflatable archways are becoming increasingly popular. You will find these in an assortment of themes, including candy canes and snowmen. These range between $50 and $100, so considering their size and the effect that they have they are not that costly. If you would like something more classical, you could set up an archway and attach garlands with Christmas lights to it. This may end up being more costly depending on the size of your entryway.
- 8 Foot Tall Lighted Christmas Inflatable Santa and Snowman Archway89.97
- 8 Foot Tall Lighted Christmas Inflatable Stacked Colorful Gift Boxes Archway with Red Bow Party Yard Decoration115.00
- 9 Foot Tall Christmas Inflatable Santa Claus Archway Arch with Teddy Bear Sugar Cane Cute Lights Lighted Blowup Party Decoration for Outdoor Indoor Home Garden Family Prop Yard89.00
- Home Accents Holiday 23 ft Giant Candy Cane Archway inflatable158.97
- BZB Goods 9 Foot Tall LED Lighted Halloween Inflatable Castle Haunted House Archway with Ghost Witch Spider Lights Blowup Party Decoration for Outdoor Indoor Home Garden Yard Prop125
Photograph by Christmas Decor via freedb2
2. The driveway
The most popular option is to hang Christmas lights all along the driveway. This inevitably calls for some planning. You need to make sure that you have the practical necessities where to hang the lights and where to plug them in. The lights will need to be weatherproof. Prices depend on the number of lights you will be hanging, as well as whether you prefer multi-coloured or white lights. A good alternative to hanging lights are bulb pathway markers which can simply be placed into the ground by means of stakes, and still, create a nice effect all along your driveway or pathway leading up to your house. Prices for these depend on their shape and size, but the most affordable ones start from just $20 per pack of 10, with more expensive ones in varying shapes also being available too.
- Lalapao 2 Pack Solar String Lights 72ft 22m 200 LED 8 Modes Solar Powered Xmas Outdoor Lights Waterproof Starry Christmas Fairy Lights for Indoor Gardens Homes Wedding Holiday Party (White)17.99
- Decute Upgraded 105 Feet 300 LED Christmas String Lights End-to-End Plug 100% UL Certified Fairy Light Outdoor Indoor Christmas Tree, Wedding, Party, Patio, Garden Decoration, Warm White35.99
- Vmanoo Solar Christmas Lights 72ft 22m 200 LED 8 Modes Solar Fairy String Lights for Outdoor, Gardens, Homes, Wedding, Christmas Party, Waterproof22.99
- Brightech Ambience Pro – Waterproof LED Outdoor String Lights – Hanging 2W Vintage Edison Bulbs – 48 Ft Commercial Grade Patio Lights Create Cafe Ambience In Your Backyard59.99
- Wine Bottle Lights with Cork – Adecorty Cork Lights for Bottle 12 Pack 6.5ft 20 LED Bottle Lights Battery Powered Christmas String Lights for Party Halloween Wedding Christmas16.99
- Multi-Color Light Bulb Pathway Markers, 10-Pack27.83
Christmas winter lights
Photograph by Adriaan Greyling via pexels
3. Outdoor nativity scenes
Setting up the nativity scene on your lawn is a very nice idea. There are several scenes to choose from, varying in sizes, with some coming with lights and others not. Apart from the traditional scene with Baby Jesus in the manger, Mary and Joseph beneath the stable, there are also add-ons available, such as the Three Kings, shepherds, and sheep. These come with adjustable stakes so that they can be easily inserted and adjusted wherever you like.
- Teak Isle Outdoor Nativity Scene – Holy Family Yard Nativity Set114.99
- Nativity Scene Sheep with Light49.93
- Three Kings Gifts 14-Piece The Real Life Nativity, 7-Inch99.95
- Christmas Nativity Set – Full 10 inch Real Life Nativity Set159.95
- 7 Inch Figures Real Life Nativity Full Complete Set – Includes All People, Lighted Manger, Chest of Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh217.49
There are nativity scenes which come as just silhouettes shapes, and others which come in full colour. Prices start from around $25 for a simple silhouette scene to around $200 for coloured or more detailed ones. Some also decide to invest in a floodlight fixture with a stake that can make the scene more visible and appealing. These kinds of lights are available from as low as $12 and they do create a nice effect.
- Sienna Lighted Double-Sided Shimmering Santa in Sleigh Christmas Window Silhouette Decoration, 17″15.99
- Northlight Lighted Santa with Green Sack of Gifts Christmas Window Silhouette Decoration, 17.75″27.44
- Impact 18″ Lighted Christmas Candle Window or Yard Silhouette Decoration22.99
- 18″ Lighted Santa Claus Face Christmas Window Silhouette Decoration22.99
- Northlight 18″ LED Lighted Snowflake Christmas Window Silhouette Decoration16.49
Cold snow holiday winter
Photograph by Public Domain Pictures via pixabay
4. Inflatable decorations
Inflatable figures and decorations are very cute and considering their size and the impact that they make, they are really affordable. A plump inflatable Santa Claus or a reindeer or snowman will look really nice on your lawn, or by your front door. And generally, you will find such large decorations for merely $30 to $50.
- VIDAMORE 8 Foot Large Inflatable X-Mas Plush Snowman LED Lighted Inflatables Outdoor Holiday90.99
- 8FT Inflatable Self-Inflating Santa with Christmas Tree Indoor Outdoor Christmas Decorations74.90
- Enchanted Forest L.E.D. 6 ft. AirFlowz Gingerbread Family Airblown Inflatable99.99
- Inflatable Cute Snowman – 4ft tall – Christmas Airblown46.99
- 6FT Inflatable Penguin with Plush Fabric Cover Indoor Outdoor Christmas Holiday Decorations87.11
- Gemmy Minions Decorating Tree Scene129.99
5. Animated projector lights
These are becoming increasingly popular especially when considering the enticing Christmassy effect they create at just $50. This projector simply needs to be installed facing the front of the house, and when lit up it will show different coloured images onto the wall, complete with sounds and music.
- Mr. Christmas Programmable Lite-Write Laser Show64.00
- Star Light Rotating Projector, MOKOQI Night Lighting Star Moon Projection Lamp 4 LED Bulbs 4 Modes with Timer Auto Shut-Off & Hanging Strap for Kids Baby Bedroom (Black)25.99
- Laser Decorative Lights Garden Laser Light Projector + Remote Control Indoor Outdoor Decorations 5W Light Show (Green, Red, Cola, Bell) for Halloween, Christmas, Party, Holiday etc25.99
- The Holiday Aisle “Merry Christmas” Projector Light57.61
6. Outdoor lighting decorations
These kinds of decorations made from incandescent rope lights, have always remained popular for yards and lawns. Despite the fact that the bigger they are the more costly they get, these lighting decorations are known for the nice effect that they create as well as for their sturdiness and longevity. Typically you would spend around $300 for a large lighting decoration of this kind.
- GuoTonG 50ft/15m Plugin Rope Lights, 540 Flexible Blue LEDs, 110V, 2 Wires, Waterproof, Connectable, Power Plug Built-in Fuse Design, Indoor/Outdoor Use, Ideal for Backyards, Decorative Lighting39.99
- WishWorld LED Copper Wire Lights, Waterproof Starry String Lights, 33ft 100LEDs Flexible Fairy Rope Lights for Indoor/Outdoor Decor, Home, Holiday, Wedding and Party Decorations29.99
- EOYIZW Fairy Lights, Warm White String Light, LED Christmas Tree Decoration Light,6 Pack Waterproof Indoor Copper Light, Flexible Rope Lights for Parties Bedroom (10ft/3m 30 LED)9.99
7. Decorative garden stakes
These come in varying types including varieties that light up. You will typically find popular Christmas characters, which are then placed into the grass by means of the stake, and they look really sweet dispersed on the lawn. Prices vary depending on the size of the decorations, and whether they light up or not. However, they typically range between $20 and $40.
- VictoryStore Yard Sign Outdoor Lawn Decorations: Christmas Lawn Decoration Set of 8-16 short Stakes 49.95
- Collections Etc Christmas Cheerful Character Garden Decor Yard Stake, Santa
- BigMouth Inc Gnome on a Throne, 9.5-inch Tall Funny Lawn Gnome Perfect for Gardens, Weatherproof19.99
- Later M 12″ Outdoor Gift Box Decoration Automatically Open, Santa Decoration, Built-in 18 LED Lights, Ip44 Water-Resistant, UL&CE Certificate, Christmas Decoration/Christmas Outdoor decoration68.21
- Product Works 8-Inch Pre-Lit Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Pre-Lit Christmas Pathway Markers (Set of 4)19.19
Green and red Christmas wreath on door
Photograph by Matej via pexels
8. Decorating your doorway
A big wreath hanging in the middle of the door is practically a must. There are various kinds to choose from, varying in styles and sizes. From frosted pine cone wreaths to wreaths with deep green foliage, you can choose the type that most suits your preferences.
- Whitehall Decorated Christmas Wreath 22 Inch – Elegant Designer Quality Transforms Your Front Door, Approved for Covered Outdoor Use, Beautiful White Gift Box59.99
- Woodbury Pumpkin Harvest Silk Fall Front Door Wreath 22 Inches – Brightens Front Door Decor with Rich Fall Colors, Approved for Covered Outdoor Use, with Beautiful White Gift Box54.87
- Highland Silk Fall Door Wreath 22 inches – Woodsy Autumn Foliage Enhances Door Decor, Approved for Covered Outdoor Use, Beautiful White Gift Box Included64.99
- 2016 Jim Shore Heartwood Creek Santa with Owl Wreath Christmas Ornament 405382828.00
A garland hanging over your doorway makes a very nice effect and also complements the wreath. Garlands come in various lengths. There are plain ones and others that have all sorts of decorations attached to them. Prices start at about $15 for a simple plain garland and go close to $100 for long garlands with decorations. Then, there are garlands that also light up. In this case, prices start from around $30 for a garland of under 10 feet, but they can go up to around $300 for a really long light-up garland measuring 50 feet.
- Kurt Adler Gold and Irridescent Bead Christmas Tree Garland (9 feet)9.45
- Best Choice Products 9ft Pre-Lit Cordless Artificial Christmas Garland w/ 50 LED Lights, Silver Bristles, Pine Cones, Berries – Green39.99
- CraftMore Smokey Pine Garland – 6 Feet – Great Indoor and Outdoor Christmas Decor – Bring The Warmth of The Holidays to Your Home This Winter21.99
- Holiday Time Christmas Decor Pre-Lit 5-Piece Entryway Set, Clear Lights57.79
It is a nice idea to place ornaments on either side of your front door. This could be Christmas themed statues, inflatable figures or maybe a pair of small Christmas trees. Prices for statues that do not
A nice Christmas themed carpet is a must. There are countless varieties to choose from, so the choice is literally endless!
- Disney Nightmare Before Christmas Ornament Set Deluxe Holiday Decorations39.95
- Hallmark Keepsake Christmas Ornament 2018 Year Dated, Christmas Angels Peace21.87
- Wallace 2018 Sleigh Bell Gold-Plated Christmas Holiday Ornament, 29th Edition54.94
- Swarovski Little Snowflake Ornament Holiday32.09
- Darice Ho Ho Ho Doormat: Synthetic Rubber, 22 x 10 inches16.95
- LOCHAS Merry Christmas Area Rug Holiday Decor Stocking Stuffer Xmas Welcome Doormat Living Dining Dorm Room Bedroom Home, 15.7 X 23.6 Inch13.98
Photo of woman sitting near the Christmas tree
Photograph by Nastya Sensei Sens via pexels
9. The Christmas tree
These are some popular outdoor decorations that you could set up in front of your house. Naturally, besides these relatively small decorations, you will want to set up a nice Christmas tree too, and here we will go into some detail about various options you could opt for in this regard.
There is no doubt that for many the Christmas tree remains the focal point of all Christmas decorations. Obviously, the type of tree you set up will depend on your budget as well as your preferences.
For those who have a limited budget and prefer something modern, there are spiral Christmas tree lights that can be set up outdoors. This is the simplest form you could opt for, with a metal base and pole around which you will then have a spiral rope light with a star at the top. These generally offer different lighting effects and come in different colors. Prices start from around $30 only.
Then you could opt for the more traditional looking Christmas tree. Needless to say, there are lots of different sizes of artificial Christmas trees that can be mounted outdoors that you can go for. These will not come cheap as their material will need to be UV and weather resistant. Prices vary the bigger the tree you choose, and the number of lights it has, if you prefer for it to come already equipped with lights. For a high quality, large Christmas tree measuring around 9 feet you might end up spending some $800. Prices will be less steep for shorter trees, and those that do not come pre-lit. You will also need to take into account the cost of decorations and ornaments, if any, that you would like to hand to the tree. It is important to make sure that the lights are approved for outdoor use.
If you prefer to go natural, you would want to buy a real Christmas tree. There are a number of suppliers and nurseries you could buy such a tree from, most of which offer different varieties which make for good value outdoor options. Some include the Norway Spruce, the Blue Spruce, and The Fraser Fir.
- National Tree 7.5 Foot Carolina Pine Tree with Flocked Cones and 750 Clear Lights, Hinged 297.05
- Best Choice Products 7ft Pre-Lit Fiber Optic Artificial Christmas Pine Tree w/ 280 UL-Certified 4-Color LED Lights, 8 Sequences, Foldable Stand – Green91.99
- KING OF CHRISTMAS 10 Foot Prince Flock Artificial Christmas Tree Unlit399.00
- Balsam Hill BH Balsam Fir Premium Artificial Christmas Tree, 6.5 Feet, Unlit429.00
As you can see there are countless ways and means to decorate your house’s outdoor area for Christmas. The options are endless, and you can find something suitable for whatever your preferences and budget might be in the second part.